Hornick Public Library
Coffee @ 10:00 (Volunteers)
1st. and 3rd. Saturday of the Month 10:00-2:00
Kids time @ 11:00
Book Club - Hornick Lit Chicks
Contact the Hornick Library for information. 712-874-3616
The Hornick Public Library was established in 1895 by a group of 18 ladies. Box and ice cream socials, bake sales, plays, selling popcorn at band concerts and ball games, among many other events help provide funds to purchase books. To make books available for loaning, they were placed in the grocery store, then later the drug store and restaurants. This plan worked well for several years, until books needed repair and some members had moved out of town. Mrs. S. Hindman decided books should be sold due to the lack of interest maintaining them and merchants were lacking shelf space. This did not materialize, as the group bought a little 12ft x 15 ft. building on Main St. which had to be moved to a small piece of land behind Frank Williams grocery store. The building had been a millinery shop, there was one door, one window and wooden boxes were used as steps . At this time the library was run by volunteers until January 1918 a school girl was paid .75 for taking care of the library. The little framed building served as library until 1924 when the present library building was built. The Hornick Public Library became a branch of the Woodbury County Library in 1964. The building was expanded in 1986 to include storage closets, a bathroom, a furnace room and a ramp for easier access.
In 1995, The Hornick Library celebrated 100 years and was recognized by Iowa Governor Terry Branstad as the oldest library in Woodbury County. (Information taken from the Hornick 1887-1987 History of our 100 years book pages 17-18).